Best Garden Hose: Picking The Least Expensive And Most Lightweight
You wouldn’t think that picking the best garden hose would be difficult. Just grab a hose and move on, right?
Turns out there’s more nuance to buying hoses than anyone thought. It’s actually probably better to pick a more expensive hose that will last a while instead of having to replace a cheap one each year.
- 0.1 Comparison Table of the Best Garden Hose
- 0.2 What You Need to Know Before Buying a Hose
- 0.3 6 Different Types of Hoses
- 1 1
- 2 2
- 3 3
- 4 4
- 5 5
- 6 6
- 7 1
- 8 2
- 9 3
- 10 4
- 11 5
- 12 6
- 13 7
- 14 8
- 15 9
Comparison Table of the Best Garden Hose
What You Need to Know Before Buying a Hose
If you know the specifics of what you want, then you’ll be able to find the best garden hose for you.
You should only get the length you need and not longer. It can be tempting to get a longer one but they cost more and are harder to move with.
Measure the farthest distance from your spigot. Then buy a hose that’s a little longer than that length. You don’t want to tug or stretch out a hose too much.
Most hoses are 3/4ths of an inch, 5/8ths of an inch, or a half an inch in diameter. These are based on the inside of the hose, not the outside.
The bigger the diameter, the more water the hose will carry.
Vinyl hoses are the least expensive and most lightweight. Though they’re also the ones that break the most.
Rubber hoses are the strongest and longest lasting, but they’re the most expensive and heaviest.
Composite rubber/ vinyl garden hoses are a good mix between them.
Reinforced hoses are usually reinforced with a mesh lining between layers of vinyl and/or rubber. They’re more resistant to kinks and splitting, and can handle higher water pressure.
There’s nothing more annoying than dealing with kinks. To minimize that, make sure that your hose is flexible. Kinks lead to cracks and splits.
Reinforced and rubber hoses are less likely to kink.
6 Different Types of Hoses
You should think about what you want from your hose before buying one. Each has their own pros and cons.
Lightweight/ Light Duty Hoses
These hoses are usually made of vinyl, kink more easily, and come in thinner diameters.
The perk of these hoses are that they’re usually the cheapest.
These are good for gardeners on a budget, won’t use it too often, have lower water pressure, and don’t use a sprinkler.
These are similar to a fireman’s hose. They’re flat when empty but round when water is coming out of it. They’re lightweight and can roll up easily. This means less storage space is needed. Though it can be hard to store without a hose reel.
Some flat hoses are sold with a hose reel, but if they aren’t, make sure they will fit the reel you have now.
Because they are so flexible, they are usually made of vinyl. This means they’ll kink more easily. They don’t work well when pulled around corners.
There’s also the annoyance of having to unroll and roll up the hose every time you want to use it.
But they are good for gardeners that have no storage space and have a pretty straight area to water. These aren’t the types that are for constant use.
This type of hose is used for garden irrigation. They’re made of recycled rubber and plastics and have porous walls.
This means when water is turned on, it seeps out of the holes and into the soil. These hoses can be laid directly on the ground, buried just under the surface, or buried 6 or more inches deep.
These hoses are good for level sites and you’ll need a good amount of water pressure to make sure water is spread throughout the hose.
Drinking Water Safe Hoses
Most garden hoses are made with materials like plasticizers that give the hose flexibility but also contains chemicals like BPA, lead, and phthalates. These can find their way into the water.
These chemicals won’t hurt your plants but they’re toxic to humans.
Look for hoses that are labeled “drinking water safe” or “lead free.” You can find them sold for the purpose of fun instead of gardening. These hoses are made of with non-toxic, FDA-approved inner cores that don’t leak chemicals.
A coiled hose can form into a tight spiral that comes together when not in use, and can stretch out when in use. They usually come in shorter lengths and have a smaller diameter.
Because of the coils, the hoses won’t stretch out to their full length. They also can be hard to store. They don’t fit on reels and get tangled up if you put in a box of any type.
These hoses are best for hand watering and being used in smaller areas.
These are scrunchie-like hoses that expand up to 3 times their length when filled with water. They are lightweight and come in bright colors.
Though they expand, they have a hard time contracting. This can leave you with a hose that’s hard to store or coil. If you have high water pressure or leave the hose in the sun, they tend to rupture because of how thin they are.
Many people do like this kind of hose because they are lightweight. If you treat them gently and don’t leave them in the sun, they can be good hoses.
But they don’t seem to last long, so be prepared to buy replacements.
How We Chose Our Ratings
We chose our ratings through a mixture of articles and Amazon reviews. We looked at what insiders were saying the best hoses are and then comparing them to what a regular person says. There’s no point in having a fancy hose if you can’t use it.
This hose is 50 feet long and comes with a 9 function nozzle. It has heavy duty brass fittings to prevent leaks.
It shouldn’t kink or twist. It stores easily and can be used for anything.
It come with a storage bag, a hook to hang it on, and extra washers.
It has a 4.9 star rating. Pros are that it’s light yet durable, the hardware holds up, and water flows through it easily. The only con is that a rubber gasket that it comes with doesn’t work too well.
This hose is 25 feet long and has a diameter of 5/8. It has crush proof nickel plated brass couplings. It’s flexible even in 0 degree weather. It can withstand hot water, it’s made in the USA, and has a lifetime manufacturer warranty.
It has a 4.8 star rating. Highlights are how sturdy it is, the lifetime warranty, and the reasonable price. The lowlights are that it can leave black marks on whatever it’s stored in and possibly your hands.
- MAKE YOUR WATERING SIMPLE AND EFFICIENT with the Hospaip water hose: we designed and manufactured...
- INCREDIBLE DURABILITY - no more leaks, tear or cracks: solid 3/4 Inches brass connectors, rubber...
- FLEXIBLE DESIGN - this expandable hose starts out from 17 Feet; when the water is turned on the hose...
- FREE 8 PATTERN HOSE NOZZLE - durable zinc alloy construction; the rubberized outer coating is...
- EASY TO STORE - lightweight, highly portable, flexible hose comes with a free storage bag - simple...
This hose is 50 feet long with a diameter of 3/4. It’s functional while still being lightweight. It has a double latex core and a polyester cover.
It can handle temperatures from 41-113 degrees Fahrenheit. It also comes with a free storage bag and nozzle.
It has a 4.6 star rating. Pros are how light it is, that it shrinks down, and all the extras it comes with. The biggest con is that it appears to spring leaks within months of use for some.
No products found.
No products found.
This hose is safe to drink from and you can choose from 25, 50, 75, or 100 of length. It has a diameter of 7/16 and brass fittings. It also comes in 4 different colors.
It soft, flexible, lightweight, and kink resistant. It’s NSF and FDA certified as safe to drink from. It can handle extreme heat and cold and still work.
It has a 4.3 star rating. People like that it’s lightweight and easy to use. It doesn’t hurt their hands or back as they work with it. They also like that it’s made in the USA.
Some people feel there isn’t enough water pressure and there have been problems with its memory. It seems to really like to coil up and some reviewers had to wrestle with it.
- Extremely flexible – Our distinctive green hoses are built from a special polymer blend that...
- Extremely durable – Purpose built to handle any industry and environment. Abrasion resistant outer...
- Won't kink under pressure – Our hoses are made from a special hybrid polymer that is memoryless,...
- Leak free and drinking water safe - Each garden hose contains superior O-rings, ensuring a long...
- Lightweight - Lighter than traditional garden hoses making Flexzilla easier to carry and maneuver...
You get a variety of choices for length, going as small as 3 feet to as long as 100 feet. The diameter of this hose is 5/8.
It can handle temperatures of below 40 and up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit. It has an abrasion resistant outer cover to ensure durability. It won’t kink and is flexible. It’s also safe to drink from.
It has a 4.2 star rating. Highlights include its lightness, how little it kinks, and its durability.
Lowlights are that it seems to develop mold within months of use. It’s on the inside and no one seems to be able to get rid of it.
We can’t help but wonder if these people got a bad batch because other reviews are so positive.
- No matter the destination, it’s along for the ride.
- Drinking Water Safe - Manufactured with FDA sanctioned materials
- Patented anti-kink technology prevents kinks, twists and tangles, the # 1 consumer complaint
- RIgid sleeve prevents kinking at the faucet
- Ergonomic leak proof coupling for easier attachment to the faucet
You can choose from 25, 50, or 100 feet length and the diameter is 5/8. It’s abrasion, leak, and puncture resistant. It’s doesn’t kink and is safe to drink from. It’s made in the USA.
It has a 4.0 star rating. People love it for how easy it to coil up, it doesn’t kink, and how lightweight it is. People have complained that it can be leaky.
- 8 patterns for a wide range of watering needs, including jet, Shower, center, angle, flat, cone,...
- Ideal for patios, hanging baskets, porches, pools and more
- 25-Foot coil hose quickly deploys for all outdoor watering uses
- Returns to original shape for convenient and compact storage
- Comfort grip for ease of use
You can pick from either 25 or 50 feet and there are 4 color choices. It comes with a nozzle that has 8 water patterns like jet, shower, cone, and more.
It returns to its original shape easily for storage needs.
It has a 3.9 star rating. Pros of this hose are how small it can become, how light it is, and the variety of hose choices. Cons are that some people say the hose doesn’t last long. They had leaks within 6 months of using it. Though people who use it causally don’t have this problem.
- [304 METAL EXPANDABLE GARDEN HOSE] – A great combination of flex expanding hose and heavy-duty...
- [EXTREMELY DURABLE] - Made of premium quality commercial-grade 304 stainless steel, so it won't...
- [SOLID FITTINGS] - Adopted with reinforced hose joint, it will not break, crack, leak or corrode for...
- [HIGH WATER FLOW] - The new version retractable garden hose features a bigger diameter of the inner...
- [DRINKING WATER SAFE HOSE] Lead / BPA / Phthalates free, the Flex Hybrid Polymer inner tube material...
You have the option of 25, 50, 75, and 100 feet to choose from. This is made of heavy duty 304 stainless steel. The design still guarantees flexibility though.
It’s kink and puncture resistant. It won’t be affected by the weather or the sun. It rolls up easily and be stored anywhere. It also comes with a nozzle.
It has a 3.9 star rating. Perks are how small it compacts itself, how it can handle dog bites, and that it doesn’t twist or kink.
Takeaways are the size of the hose. Many people felt it had too small of a diameter. If they had low water pressure, then it was useless to them. People also felt that this hose is not as durable as advertised. It would spring leaks or get dented after getting stepped on once.
- Backed by a Melnor 2-Year Limited Warranty. Melnor stands behind its products. Need additional...
- FLATTENS FOR EASY STORAGE - The compact design dripper only takes up about 0.05 ft³
- EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE AND VERSATILE - It gets water right where you want it! You can place it above...
- EASY CONNECTION - Included rust-resistant end cap allows multiple hoses to be connected together
- FITTING SIZE 3/4 INCH - Fits standard garden hose thread
You can choose from 25, 50, and 75 feet. It flattens easily for storage and is flexible. You can choose to put on the ground or below it.
The company offers a 2 year warranty.
It has a 3.9 star rating. People like it that it gives the right amount of water to their gardens, how flexible it is, and how easy it is to work with. People have complained that theirs fell apart within months of use. There also seems to be problems with attaching the hose to the spigot.
Finding the One
By deciding what type of material, length, and water pressure you need, it should be easy to find the best garden hose for you. Check out the reviews and see if these hose or others suit your needs.
A few extra dollars can save you a lot in the long run.
Last update on 2021-03-02 at 12:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API