Best Work Gloves: Top 5 Picks And Buying Tips
Gardening is a great pastime that is both enjoyable and stress relieving. But getting the best pair of gardening gloves is neither of the two. It can be a big challenge and a bit stressful. And that’s because there are so many options, and all of them promising you the moon. If you are looking for the best work gloves, you’ve come to the right place. We’re going to explore different types of work gloves that will make your gardening experience the joy that it’s supposed to be.
But before we look at specific gloves, let’s take a look at some of the features you should look out for in a good pair of work gloves.
- 1 3 Tips for Choosing the Right Work Gloves
- 2 5 Best Work Gloves to Keep Your Hands Safe in the Garden
- 3 Comparison Table
- 4 The Best Work Gloves – Gear Up
3 Tips for Choosing the Right Work Gloves
They say a worker is only as good as his tools. That’s true. When it comes to gardening, one piece of equipment that will determine how well you work is your gloves. And that’s why you need to invest in the best work gloves that give you adequate protection while allowing your fingers the flexibility to do what you want to do. Let’s take a look at some of the qualities that make for the best work gloves, shall we?
Gardening gloves come in a lot of different materials, as arrayed as the plants in the gardens they help tend. But what determines the material you opt for is the actual kind of work you intend using them for. The most common material you will find though is pigskin leather as it is versatile, tough, and very affordable. Apart from pigskin leather here are a few other materials used to make the best work gloves:
- Goatskin. Goatskin leather is considered the toughest type of leather that affords durability and is puncture resistant. It is also very flexible and soft, allowing your fingers to move as they will. Because of these properties, goatskin leather gloves are more on the higher-end of work gloves.
- Split cowhide. This is another rugged choice of material for gardening gloves. The only disadvantage is that it doesn’t flex very well so at times it is only used in the cuffs of work gloves so as to protect your forearms.
- Synthetic leather. Synthetic leather is one of the most popular materials for work gloves as it is both rugged and flexible. It also has the added advantage of easy maintenance as it is machine washable.
- Cotton. Cotton is mainly reserved for light-duty gloves as it is lightweight and doesn’t offer enough protection or durability for harder tasks. The main advantages of cotton gloves are that they are very flexible, breath well, and are inexpensive.
So, depending on the kind of work you are doing, you have a lot of options material-wise, but, material is not the only factor to take into consideration.
2. Glove Fit
When it comes to the best work gloves for you, size does matter. Ill-fitting gloves can not only be uncomfortable, but dangerous if you are carrying heavy things as they can cause your load to slip and fall. The best fitting gloves fit snugly, but not tightly on your hands and your fingertips should just be near the end of the glove fingers and not jammed at the end. Another important factor when it comes to size is the webbing between the fingers, it too should just be snug enough without chaffing your hands. Last but not least is the wrist closure. Make sure it’s long enough to sit on your wrist, or beyond, and not so short that it sits on your palm.
If you are buying your gloves online, make sure to utilize the sizing chart on the site to get the perfect fitting glove for you. Oh, and it is best you choose gender-specific gloves as unisex gloves can be tricky to fit.
3. Double Stitched Seams and Padding
One of the weakest points on a pair of gloves is the seams. They easily fall apart under pressure. That is why the best work gloves have double-stitched seams for extra seams. If one row starts to come undone, the second seam will prevent the gloves from coming apart as you work.
Another characteristic you will want to look out for when hunting for the best work gloves is padding. Especially if you are going to be doing some heavy work or putting your hands to something thorny (or contents unknown like compost) it’s better to be safe than sorry. Your gloves of choice must have adequate padding on the fingers and palms.
Now that you know 3 of the most important characteristics to look for in the best work gloves, let’s get our fingers dirty as we pick out a few highly recommended ones.
5 Best Work Gloves to Keep Your Hands Safe in the Garden
Ready for that pair of gloves that will keep your hands clean and protected as you do what you love most? Here are the top 5 work gloves you should consider adding to your gardening kit.
- Digz | Designed with both function and fashion in mind, Digz merges exciting patterns and vibrant...
- Digz Men's Garden Gloves make it effortless to grasp garden tools and other objects while you work |...
- Adjustable wrist strap helps keep dirt and debris off of your hands while you work
- Gloves feature a reinforced leather palm with a stretchable back material for added comfort without...
- Ideal for light-duty gardening including handling seeds, flowers or vegetables
DIGZ Men’s Heavy Duty Garden Gloves are a household name for very good reasons, they are probably the best work gloves ever. Although they are not technically garden gloves, they serve their purpose very well in the garden. DIGZ has made the perfect work glove (which comes in men’s and women’s variations) that strikes the perfect balance between ruggedness and flexibility – the perfect work gloves if you work with sharp objects like splinters, or in a garden that is the perfect habitat for dangerous insects like scorpions.
If you are looking for padded gloves that are comfortable, breathe well, and can suit most gardening tasks, then DIGZ Men’s Heavy Duty Garden Gloves are exactly what you are looking for. They feature padded fingers and palms, a snug cuff (to prevent debris from falling inside your gloves), and a reinforced tab for easy on/off. And on those hot days, you’ll appreciate the breathable material that makes the bulk of the glove. For an added bonus DIGZ Men’s Heavy Duty Garden Gloves are machine washable.
Although these are multi-purpose work gloves, they are not recommended for delicate jobs like handling seedlings or deadheading flowers. For this kind of versatility, functionality, and comfort.
- DURABLE MATERIAL - This garden claw gloves are made of high density rubber plus a protective...
- QUICK & EASY TO PLANT - 4 ABS plastic claws on left & right glove. All 8 claws have been attached...
- UNIVERSAL SIZE FITS MOST - High quality latex material allow for longer stretch, fits most women,...
- BREATHABLE DESIGN - Our honey badger garden gloves back is made of high permeability nylon material,...
- RISK FREE GUARANTEED - Quality guarantee and 5-star customer service. If you are not 100% completely...
If you are looking to work a little magic in your garden, you will need the right kind of work gloves to help you do just that – Garden genie work gloves.
Garden Genie work gloves are made from waterproof and puncture-resistant latex, making them some of the most flexible working gloves available. Featuring durable plastic claws, they are ideal for digging small holes, transplanting plants, raking, and a whole lot of other gardening tasks that are best done by hand. The Garden Genie work gloves are very easy to wash and maintain, making them some of the best work gloves you can get.
The biggest downer with these gloves is the material – latex. They can become quite uncomfortable when it’s very hot as the material does not breathe as well as other gloves on the market. On the plus side though, they are very budget friendly.
- Breathable Bamboo to Keep Your Hands Cool – Bamboo absorbs perspiration, is naturally very...
- Fits Like A Second Skin - Do you take off your gloves for every chore that requires finger...
- Comfortable and Durable Hand Protection - We believe gardening should be safe and fulfilling. Avoid...
- Please note: our gloves are famous for their snug fit. Not your preference? Just order one size up!
- Pure Satisfaction or Money Back – Although our gloves are initially designed for gardening, many...
If you are looking to really connect with your plants, why not wear gloves made by another plant? These working gloves are made from bamboo, which is one of the best materials a glove can be made of as it is extremely breathable. These gloves will keep you cool in summer and warm in winter, all the while affording you great protection and comfort as you tend to your beautiful garden.
If you need gloves with enhanced grip without compromising on flexibility, these are the best work gloves for you. And the added bonus is that they fit like, well, like a glove. In fact, once they are on, they will feel like your second skin, affording you the convenience of being able to handle other things like your phone without having to remove your gloves.
- Water resistant high tech sport fabric provides durability
- Supplex nylon feels cottony soft but is tough and resilient
- Lycra elastane provides four way stretch and form fit
- Breathable knit fabric keeps soil out, hands and nails clean
- Longer cuff protects wrist from scratches & keeps soil out
For the professional gardener who is looking for a snug fitting pair of gloves that offers protection all the way to the elbows, this pair from Foxgloves is definitely what you are looking for.
Made from water-resistant Supplex nylon these work gloves are both tough and soft, making them suitable for those tasks that require your sense of touch – like pulling out weeds or planting seedlings. These are probably the best lightweight work gloves. The downside with this set of gloves is that they are only water resistant and not waterproof, meaning they are not really suitable for very wet soil. On the plus side, Foxgloves are easy to wash and they dry quickly too.
The biggest con that comes with this pair of gloves is their price tag. But the durability and flexibility they afford are worth it as they help you take care of your garden efficiently.
- PREVENT FATIGUE-The ReliefGrip Gardening Gloves were designed by an orthopedic hand surgeon with...
- COOL, DRY & COMFORTABLE HANDS- Terrycloth mini-towels on the inside of the glove keep your hand cool...
- EVEN MORE SUPPORT- The form-fitting LightPrene expanded wristband comfortably supports the wrist and...
- SUPIRIOR GRIP AND LIFESPAN- Silicone coated fingertips improve grip and increase durability in areas...
- WASH ME- Gardening and yard projects can be dirty work, but your gloves don’t have to look like...
If you are looking for cool looking gloves that also offer exceptional performance, then look no further than Bionic Gloves Relief Grip garden gloves. These work gloves are made of washable goatskin leather, making them very breathable, comfortable, flexible, and everything you would look for in the best pair of work gloves.
The Bionic Gloves come fitted with a padded palm and silicone fingertips so as to reinforce those parts of the gloves that are more prone to wear and tear. This could well be the best work gloves as they afford exceptional sensitivity while being tough enough to be able to protect you from sharp objects.
This fabulous pair of work gloves is available in many sizes for you to choose from and comes with a higher price tag.
The Best Work Gloves – Gear Up
Now that you know the best work gloves trending in gardening circles, the only thing left for you to do is get yourself a pair, don them, and let’s get gardening.
Be sure to check out article discussing how to plant a rose garden now that you know about the best work gloves.
Last update on 2021-07-29 at 18:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API