The Best Tow Behind Sprayer Reviews: The Guide You Need To Know
Keeping a lawn attractive is no easy task. It requires constant monitoring and upkeep. One way to cut down the time and manual labor in maintaining a well-manicured lawn or garden is to employ the help of the best tow behind sprayer.
This equipment is a versatile tool for any gardener. It can be used for watering plants, applying fertilizer, or spraying pesticides and herbicides. It can be easily hitched onto an all-terrain vehicle or a lawn mower.
- 1 What You Need to Know Before Looking For The Best Tow Behind Sprayer
- 2 Benefits of Having a Tow Behind Sprayer
- 3 The Top 5 Most Reviewed Tow Sprayers
- 3.1 1. Chapin 97600 12-volt EZ Tow Dripless Fertilizer, Herbicide and Pesticide Sprayer, 15-Gallon
- 3.2 2. Precision Products TCT25 Tow Behind and Spot Sprayer, 12-Volt, 25-Gallon
- 3.3 3. NorthStar Tow-Behind Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer – 21 Gallon, 2.2 GPM, 12 Volt DC
- 3.4 4. Ironton Tow-Behind Broadcast and Spot Sprayer – 13 Gallon, 1 GPM, 12 Volt DC
- 3.5 5. Agri-Fab 45-0293 25-Gallon 12-Volt Professional Tow Sprayer
- 4 Final Thoughts on the Best Tow Behind Sprayer
What You Need to Know Before Looking For The Best Tow Behind Sprayer
Purchasing a towable sprayer is an investment that requires several considerations. Simple tasks for the sprayer may include watering the lawn or misting the driveways and pathways. In this case, a functional and durable sprayer will do.
Check your terrain or site profile first when selecting a specific tow behind sprayer. Some sprayers are designed to resist high impact and are usually fitted with pneumatic tires. Other sprayers only have plastic wheels and are recommended only for relatively flat terrains.
There is also a lot of valuable information in websites that discuss about grounds maintenance and pull behind sprayers with contributions from experts in the field of golf and greening industry. Lawn and turf management websites also have tips and recommendations on purchasing field spraying tools and equipment. Apart from providing a catalog of lawn spraying equipment, there are also educational articles to help you determine the best tow behind sprayer for your gardening needs.
Benefits of Having a Tow Behind Sprayer
Towable sprayers can significantly cut the time spent on gardening duties. This equipment is also easily-serviceable compared to having a sprinkler system installed. This is also more convenient to use compared to backpack sprayers.
Sprayers can also be used with the most-commonly used chemicals in gardening and farming such as fungicide, herbicide, pesticide and fertilizers. Also, most sprayers come with pressure gauges which can be easily calibrated and set to get the desired flow rate for each type of chemical mentioned.
Some yards that have been neglected for years take up a lot of time in terms of clearing and removal of weeds. With the use of a tow-behind sprayer and a boom, weed and brush killing can be done with ease.
Different Features for Different Spraying Needs: What To Look At
The main features to evaluate when choosing a specific brand or unit of sprayer are the tank, diaphragm pump, pressure valves and gauges, the hose, spray nozzles and tips, and the availability of hand wands and booms.
A sprayer with fiberglass tank is preferred for its durability. This feature naturally causes the product to be more expensive than the conventional sprayer fitted with a plastic tank. A good compromise for those who want quality with economy is to choose a sprayer with a composite tank. Its tank is made from reinforced plastic material that is durable enough to withstand all types of lawn products and chemicals. Tank size is also a significant factor to consider especially if you don’t want to keep going back and forth for refills.
A diaphragm pump is a vital feature for those who will spray mixtures or suspensions. This pump agitates the mixture inside the tank so that big particles don’t separate and settle into the bottom of the tank.
Most sprayers today are equipped with flow rate meters and pressure gauges. These gauges will help you to regulate the amount of chemical being released by the sprayer. It is advisable to look for this feature when choosing a sprayer.
Hoses and spray nozzles should also be adjustable from producing a mist type of spray to a stream output. Some job requirements such as applying pesticide may only require misting while drenching with water requires stream output.
Another feature to consider is the boom which is attached at the rear of the towable sprayer. A boom augments the output of a broadcast sprayer and therefore increase spray coverage. Booms are also fitted with nozzles that can spray weed killers in hard-to-reach spots.
Tips on Using Your Tow Behind Sprayer
It’s important to familiarize yourself with the basics of your pull behind sprayer. Read the product manual to learn the different parts of the equipment. Take your equipment out for a test drive and use water for the first run. Once you are comfortable with using it, you can adjust the settings and experiment with other lawn chemicals that you might be using.
Check for any loose fittings that need tightening and always do a quick check before running the machine. Fully drain the tank and clean it after each use to prevent clogging of the plumbing components.
Safety Reminders in Using Your Tow Behind Sprayer
While you may be eager to work your lawn with your towable sprayer, bear in mind that safety and caution are essential. Always wear protective coverings such as gloves, goggles, and masks before working with your equipment.
Always conduct a safety check and see if there are any broken lines in your spray delivery system. These are very dangerous, so have it serviced immediately by a professional technician.
Always follow the instructions on the product manual, particularly on assembly. Do not attempt to run the equipment before it has been completely assembled.
When working with chemicals, be sure to check the recommended flow rates and pressure prescribed in the charts. It is also recommended that you initially calibrate your equipment with water or a small amount of lawn chemical.
Store the product in its original packaging along with the product manual. Make sure that it is out of reach of children, pets, or other animals.
For those who live in areas where there is winter season, find an indoor storage for the towable sprayer. Make sure to clean all parts of the towable sprayer per the product instructions. Apply the compatible antifreeze solution to pumps and plumbing components prior to storage.
The Top 5 Most Reviewed Tow Sprayers
1. Chapin 97600 12-volt EZ Tow Dripless Fertilizer, Herbicide and Pesticide Sprayer, 15-Gallon
This sprayer can easily be towed behind a utility vehicle or an all-terrain vehicle. It is ideal for the average home owner with a small yard.
It has a 15-gallon translucent tank which is an advantage for those who would like to monitor the remaining amount of chemical/liquid inside.
- The spray wand has a straight hose that is convenient compared to coiled hoses.
- The boom covers a wide 7-feet spray area.
- The spray nozzles can be adjusted inwards to lessen the area covered by the boom.
- It has a strategically placed pressure gauge that is highly visible.
- It has a translucent tank for easy fluid monitoring.
- There are intermittent drips and leaks despite tightening of the spray nozzle parts.
- The sprayer boom / bar is quite hard to assemble and disassemble.
- It comes with plastic fittings that may break easily.
- The tank has a seam in the middle which tends to split under heavy duty use.
2. Precision Products TCT25 Tow Behind and Spot Sprayer, 12-Volt, 25-Gallon
Precision Products TCT25 boasts of a larger tank capacity of 25 gallons. A tankful of lawn chemical can cover up to 2 acres of land, depending on the flow rate settings of the sprayer.
This sprayer comes with a boom which can be dismantled when not being used. However, its boom is quite high causing unwanted drifting of chemicals being sprayed.
- The product comes with clear and simple instructions for assembly.
- It has a huge 25-gallon capacity.
- The sprayer pump is mounted on an anti-vibration pad.
- It has a solid construction that can be used even on rough terrains.
- There is no hook for the hand wand and hose; you’ll have to coil it around the whole tank’s body during storage.
- The rear nozzle output pressure cannot be adjusted.
- The caps for drain and opening are not tethered to the tank and may get lost easily.
- The height of boom seems too high and manual adjustment is needed to lower boom nozzles.
- The tires are made of plastic and does not hold air.
3. NorthStar Tow-Behind Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer – 21 Gallon, 2.2 GPM, 12 Volt DC
The product exhibits good design considerations. It has an aesthetically pleasing stream-lined body and any steel supports like the axel and trailer are hidden in a clever manner.
It has a diaphragm for agitating tank mix. It also comes with a pressure gauge that can be easily monitored.
The sprayer not only has broadcast and spot sprayer, but it’s also with boom which can be folded neatly into the body of the sprayer.
Another literally cool feature is the industrial grade pump which does not heat up fast. The pump also has chemical-resistant Viton® seals that can handle even the most corrosive chemicals.
- The manufacturer exhibited good product design considerations.
- It can be used in rough terrains due to high-impact design.
- Its flow rate is adjustable up to 2.2 gpm.
- It has a foldable boom that is easily set on top of the unit when not being used.
- It comes with a pressure gauge that is easily seen from the mower or tractor
- The manufacturers have caring and professional representatives who attend to customer service needs.
- Its electrical wiring could be longer to reach batteries of other models of ATV and UTV.
- Some leaks were observed during operation; clamps, fittings, and bolts had to be tightened or fixed with Teflon tape to ensure water tightness.
4. Ironton Tow-Behind Broadcast and Spot Sprayer – 13 Gallon, 1 GPM, 12 Volt DC
This towable sprayer can be used for light and small scale jobs in the lawn or around the house. It has a 13-gallon opaque tank and an adjustable flow rate of up to 2.2 gpm.
It can be easily dismantled (removable axel and wheels) for easy storage. It can be used in very rough terrains given its pneumatic wheels.
- The unit is very easy to assemble and the instructions are easy to follow.
- It has a very reasonable price for those starting to invest in a lawn / agricultural tool.
- It is compact, lightweight, and easy to store.
- The back spray nozzle has good spray coverage.
- The tank is made of opaque material; another measuring tool for liquid contents must be used such as a graduated container.
- It only has 12-foot hose for the hand wand.
- The broadcast spray does not have a limiter and may use up more chemical than what is sufficient.
5. Agri-Fab 45-0293 25-Gallon 12-Volt Professional Tow Sprayer
This towable sprayer is ideal for covering wide and uneven terrains. It also features a foldable boom with four nozzle sprays. The back spray has coverage of 6 feet when the booms are extended.
It is quite expensive compared with other 25-gallon towable sprayers. It does boast of a polyethylene tank which is very durable and resistant to the most corrosive lawn chemicals.
There is also an on/off switch to prevent draining of battery when the unit is not being used. It can be attached to most ride-on lawn mowers and has a universal hitch pin.
- It has an adjustable pressure with a maximum of 70 psi.
- It has a tank capacity of 25 gallons.
- The booms can be extended and retracted; no need to disassemble the boom as it can be simply folded closer to the tank.
- The booms are also fitted with four (4) spray nozzles for better spray coverage.
- The hose can extend to 15 feet and the wand has a 15-inch length for spot spraying.
- It comes with a 3-year consumer warranty.
- The flow rate has to be determined manually through several trial and error tests.
- It has a coiled plastic hose instead of a straight one.
- The price range of $350-400 for this product may be too steep for the average home owner.
Final Thoughts on the Best Tow Behind Sprayer
The tow behind sprayer that exhibited unique features and excellent qualities would be the NorthStar Tow Behind Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer.
It has a sufficient tank capacity, agitator pump, pressure gauge and flow rate meter and valve, an easily workable hand wand, adjustable nozzles, and a foldable boom.
Compared to the other towable sprayers on the market, the NorthStar sprayer pump has innovated an effective cooling system. It does not easily heat up and when it eventually does, it cools down faster than pumps of other towable sprayers. It is a product that looks great and exhibits excellent performance.