The Best Chainsaw for Yardwork: Don’t Struggle with the Wrong Model!
Have you been shopping for the best chainsaw for yard work? Having a really good chainsaw can help get a lot done on your property. Everything from landscaping to trimming shrubs to cleaning up after a major storm is made easier with the right model. But which one should you buy?
Chainsaws come in all different shapes and sizes. And of course, the price can vary dramatically as well. This can make it pretty tough to decide which one you need.
But by learning a little more about the best products on the market, you can find out which is the best chainsaw for you.
- 1 Comparison Table
- 2 What to Look for in the Best Chainsaw for Yardwork
- 3 How Much Should You Pay for a Chainsaw?
- 4 How We Reviewed
- 5 The Best Chainsaws for Yardwork
- 5.1 WORX WG303.1 Powered Chain Saw, 16" Bar Length, Red
- 5.2 BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Chainsaw, 10-Inch (LCS1020)
- 5.3 Chain Saw, Gas, 20 in. Bar, 59.8cc
- 5.4 Husqvarna 20 Inch 460 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
- 5.5 Makita XCU02Z 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 12" Chain Saw, Tool Only
- 5.6 GreenWorks 20222 Electric Chainsaw, 14-Inch
- 5.7 BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Chainsaw, 12-Inch (LCS1240)
- 6 Which is the Best Chainsaw for You?
What to Look for in the Best Chainsaw for Yardwork
Before choosing the best chainsaw for yardwork, it’s important to know what to look for in the first place. Here are a few things you need to consider when shopping for a chainsaw.
Choosing the right length
Choosing the right bar length is a key component in deciding which is the best chainsaw for you. There are advantages and disadvantages to having a longer bar.
Obviously, having a long bar will help you cut larger pieces of wood. However, this can also make the chainsaw more difficult to handle. In this case, you’re likely to become fatigued more quickly.
A good rule of thumb is to choose a chainsaw that’s two inches longer than the piece of wood you plan to cut. Odds are, a shorter bar will be more appropriate for small jobs around the yard. But if you’re planning to clean up after a big storm, you might need a longer chainsaw.
Deciding which power type is right for you
There are three different types of chainsaws on the market. These are gas-powered, electric, and battery-powered. Gas-powered chainsaws are easily the most powerful of these three. They’re also heavier, harder to start, and require more maintenance.
Electric and battery-powered chainsaws aren’t as powerful as gas-powered chainsaws, but they’re lighter and easier to work with. Of course, battery-powered chainsaws have the advantage of not needing to be plugged in, but you also have to be concerned about the battery life.
Again, you need to think about what kind of work you’ll be doing. Since we’re just talking about simple yard work, an electric or battery-powered chainsaw will work just fine.
But if you need a chainsaw that you’ll use on a regular basis, you might consider going with gas. We’ll be looking at all three different types in the list below so you can decide which is best for you.
Important safety considerations
Regardless of which chainsaw you choose, safety will always be a prime concern. There are over 100,000 chainsaw-related accidents in the US every year.
Therefore, it’s extremely important to respect this tool and use it carefully.
It’s worth noting that some chainsaws come with safety features in mind. This might include a chain brake that stops the chainsaw after a sudden impact or a low kickback bar that helps prevent kickback. We’ll examine a few chainsaws with features like this in the list below.
Maintaining your chainsaw is another important safety consideration. Also, make sure you’re always wearing proper safety equipment. Gloves, boots, a hard hat, and eye, ear, and leg protection are all necessary when working with a chainsaw.
How Much Should You Pay for a Chainsaw?
The best chainsaw for yard work can cost anywhere from $50 to $500. This price difference depends on a number of factors. Generally speaking, gas-powered chainsaws are more expensive than electric or battery-powered chainsaws.
And as you might expect, more expensive chainsaws tend to be more powerful. They’re also more likely to have more features such as automatic oiling systems.
When deciding which is the best chainsaw for you, you need to consider your needs. A more expensive chainsaw will likely be more powerful, but you might not necessarily need a lot of power if you’re just doing simple chores around the yard.
How We Reviewed
For the following reviews, we researched the basic features and characteristics of these products by using Amazon and their official websites. Additionally, our opinions of these chainsaws were largely informed by real customer reviews.
In these reviews, we’ll look at a few key aspects of each chainsaw. These include power type, bar length, extra features, ease of use, and reliability. Price was also a major consideration.
The Best Chainsaws for Yardwork
Now that you know what to look for in a chainsaw, it’s time to see what the market has to offer. Here are a few of the best chainsaws for yard work.
- 14.5 Amp motor output delivers a cutting performance similar to gas chainsaws for home owners, farmers, and ranchers
- Patented auto tension chain system prevents over tightening; stays at the right tension for hundreds of uses
- Low kickback bar and built in chain brake for added safety; This model does not Include a battery; This is an electric tool; Chain speed : 12 meter per second; Rated voltage : 120V to 60Hz
- Automatic oil lubrication and built in oil reservoir with window level indicator and chain pitch is 3/8 inch, chain gauge is 0.05 inch, oil tank capacity is 200 milliliter
- Includes 3 year manufacturer’s warranty
The WORX WG303 could be considered the best chainsaw if you’re looking for something that’s electric-powered. It has a few handy features, including an auto-tension chain system that prevents it from over-tightening.
It also has automatic oil lubrication and a low kickback bar. This last feature causes the chain to stop immediately whenever improper contact is made.
Most customers have been happy with this chainsaw. In particular, they found it to be very lightweight and almost as powerful as a gas-powered chainsaw.
On the downside, many were also annoyed that it always has to be plugged in. Naturally, this is a drawback to any electric chainsaw. Also, several people felt it uses more oil than it should.
You can expect this product to cost between $70 and $125. This makes it a very affordable choice.
Overall, it could be the best chainsaw for beginners on a budget. Just make sure you have plenty of oil. Customers on Amazon gave the WORX WG303 4 out of 5 stars.
- 20 Volt MAX lithium battery for long run time and long life stays charged up to 5 times longer
- 10 inches premium Oregon low kickback bar & chain
- Tool free blade tension system for quick adjustments
- Wrap around bale handle.Do not splash or immerse in water or other liquids
- Included Components: (1) LBXR2020, (1) LCS1620, (1) LCS1020; Power Source: Lithium Ion
The Black and Decker LCS1020 could be the best chainsaw if you just need something small and simple. It has a 10-inch blade and a long-lasting 20V battery.
It also uses a tool-less chain tensioning so you can make adjustments quickly and easily. Furthermore, it has an easy oiling system to lubricate the chain and the bar.
Like the WORX WG303, most customers found thought this chainsaw was very light and easy to handle. Many agreed that it’s a great little chainsaw to use for small jobs around the yard.
Unfortunately, many also found its oiling system to be a bit faulty. Quite a few customers felt that it didn’t work the way it was supposed to.
This chainsaw will cost between $70 and $175. Again, this is a fairly affordable price for a chainsaw.
It’s another excellent choice for doing simple chores around the yard. Just be aware that you’ll probably have to oil it manually. Amazon gave it 4.3 out of 5 stars.
The Echo CS-590 is a gas-powered chain saw that’s available in three different sizes. These are 18, 20, and 24 inches. It uses a decompression valve which makes it easier to start and an automatic, clutch-driven oiler that reduces oil consumption.
Furthermore, it’s G-Force Engine Air Pre-Cleaner reduces filter maintenance. Finally, it comes with a two-piece air filter that makes it easy to clean.
Virtually all customers appreciated how powerful this chainsaw is. They also loved how easy it is to start and felt the chain lasted much longer than other chainsaws.
Most complaints were relatively minor. Some people felt it was a bit heavy and difficult to use. Also, the guard that protects you from the chain is made of plastic and prone to breaking.
This product is going to cost between $380 and $450. This makes it quite a bit more expensive than the previously mentioned chainsaws.
It could be the best chainsaw if you need something with a lot of power. Then again, it might be a bit too heavy-duty for simple garden work. It currently has 4.2 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- 460 Rancher chainsaw is a robust all-round saw for jobs that need a longer Bar
- 60. 3cc 20 inch gas chainsaw with guide bar and chain, Torque, max. 3.4 Nm
- 2 cycle engine with intertia activated chain brake for safety while operating
- Orange Husqvarna chainsaw Bar cover and 2. 6 ounce 2 cycle fuel Included, Bar and chain oil must be purchased Separately
- Automatic chain oiler delivers a steady supply of bar and chain oil for safe and effective use
The Husqvarna 460 is another powerhouse chainsaw from the ever-popular Husqvarna brand. Its X-Torq engine lowers fuel consumption and reduces emission levels. This makes it a good choice if you’re looking for something environmentally friendly.
It also uses a centrifugal air cleaning system that makes cleaning quick and easy. Another handy feature is its LowVib anti-vibration system that cuts down on vibrations and makes it easier to handle.
Once again, customers loved how powerful and easy to start this chainsaw is. Additionally, several people thought it was very easy to clean.
On the downside, this is a very heavy chainsaw. It might be difficult for some people to handle. It also has occasional oil leakage issues.
The Husqvarna 460 costs between $475 and $550. Again, it’s a heavy piece of equipment.
Like the Echo CS-590, it’s an incredibly powerful chainsaw. You’ll have to decide for yourself if this extra power is something you need. Amazon gave it 4.3 out of 5 stars.
- Two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries (not included) deliver the power and run time for corded demands without leaving the 18V LXT platform
- Lower noise level at only 89 dB(A) and zero emissions for improved user comfort
- 12" guide bar for increased capacity
- "Tool-less" chain adjustments for convenient operation and maintenance. Includes tool only (batteries and charger not included)
- Refer to page 8-10 “Assembly” on instruction manual
The Makita XCU02Z is a battery-powered chainsaw with a 12-inch bar. It's powered by two 18V LXT batteries. One of its features is a large oil filling port with view window. This allows you to easily add and check your oil level.
It also has Star Protection Computer Controls that prevent overloading and overheating. In addition, its Rapid Optimum Charger is able to optimize its battery life.
Most reviews for this product have been very positive. Customers felt it was very strong as far as battery-powered chainsaws go. They also appreciated how quiet and lightweight it is.
Unfortunately, a few customers have had problems with oil leaking. Also, many people had trouble with the chain coming loose. It needs to be adjusted more than most chainsaws.
This chainsaw costs between $125 and $250. This makes it a good midrange product in terms of price.
If you’re looking for something light and battery-powered, this could be the best chainsaw out there. The Makita XCU02Z has 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- 10.5 amp electric motor starts within seconds for ease of use and Reliable power
- 14-Inch Bar makes clean up jobs a breeze
- Tool-less chain tensioning for quick adjustments so you can get back to the task at hand
- Wrap around handle provides user comfort while clearing debris. Translucent oil tank for clear view of oil level
- Auto-oiler provides adequate Lubrication to ensure the best cutting performance without the hassle
The Greenworks 20222 is a very affordable, lightweight chainsaw. It has a 14-inch bar and is electric-powered.
It also features a tool-less chain tensioning system so you can make quick adjustments and a translucent oil tank that allows you to check your oil level. On top of this, it uses an automatic oiler to keep the chain lubricated.
Many customers loved how affordable this chainsaw is. They also appreciated that it’s lightweight and easy to use.
Unfortunately, quite a few people had issues with the chain popping off. These customers had to spend quite a bit of time readjusting the chain. Also, many people had difficulty checking their oil level due to the window becoming cloudy.
This chainsaw costs between $40 and $115. This makes it the most affordable chainsaw on this list.
This might be the chainsaw for you if you’re looking for something cheap that can do light work around the yard. Just be aware that you’ll likely have major issues with that chain. This chainsaw has 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- 40 Volts MAX Lithium Ion Battery for longer runtime and overall life
- 12" premium bar and chain. Automatic oiling system
- Suitable for pruning branches and cutting fallen limbs
- Tool free chain tensioning for quick and easy chain adjustments. 40V MAX* 2.0Ah Battery provides over 60 4x4 pine lumber cuts on average per single charge
- Full wrap around handle for comfortable cutting in different orientations
The Black and Decker LCS1240 is another strong, battery-powered chainsaw from Black and Decker. It has a 12-inch bar and uses a 40V Max lithium ion battery to get the job done.
It also features both an automatic oiling system and a tool-less chain tensioning system. You also get a full wrap-around handle that allows to you comfortably cut in a variety of different positions.
Most customers have absolutely loved this chainsaw. It’s very easy to start, as you might expect from a battery-powered chainsaw. It also has a long battery life and is very powerful compared to similar products.
However, there was one very common complaint. This chainsaw uses a ton of oil. Almost all customers talked about it going through oil extremely quickly.
This chainsaw costs between $115 and $200. Overall, it’s a great chainsaw for yard work, and most customers were very happy with it.
That said, you’ll definitely want to make sure you have plenty of oil on hand if you decide to use it. This product has 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Which is the Best Chainsaw for You?
By now, you’ve certainly noticed that there are many prime candidates for the best chainsaw for yard work. So which one is best for you?
Naturally, a lot of this will come down to your budget and your needs. If you don’t have a lot of money to spend, the Greenworks 20222 will definitely get the job done. Or you could go with the Husqvarna 460 if you need a good gas-powered chainsaw.
But overall, the Black and Decker products we mentioned will most likely give you the most bang for your buck. The WORX WG303 is another very solid choice.
But no matter what you decide, remember to consider your safety first and foremost. As long as you’re careful and take good care of your chainsaw, it will take care of you.
Did you find your favorite yard-busting chainsaw in our list? Let us know down in the comments which you chose, or if we missed your pick!