Top 4 Best ATV Snow Plow Kit Reviews
4 2 1
People have at least two reasons for using a snow plow (also called snow blade). One is to clear snow faster. The second is to get rid of the annual snow removal fees. Whatever additional reasons you have, this Best ATV Snow Plow reviews post can help you gain insights on using a plow and choosing the best plow for your needs.
For some people, plows are only used during heavy snowfall. The view is quite unfair. These tools can be used for other purposes.
- Fall clean up – You can use it to clean debris. Fallen leaves and weeds are where insects and microorganisms settle in ahead of the coming of winter.
- Moving stuff around – You can convert the plow into a small forklift to move light and heavy stuff around.
- Spreading mulch on your lawn – If you don’t have a loader, use the plow as an alternative tool to spread mulch. You can even level a beach with this tool.
- On the construction site – You can use it to clean dirt off the road.
- 1 Three Types Of Snow Plows
- 2 Things to Consider
- 3 Top 4 ATV Snow Plows Reviews Of 2018
- 3.1 1. Extreme Max 5500.5010 UniPlow OneBox ATV Plow
- 3.2 2. Swisher 2645R 50” Universal ATV Plow Blade
- 3.3 3. WARN 78950 ProVantage 50″ Straight Plow Blade
- 3.4 4. WARN 79403 ProVantage ATV Front Plow Mount Kit
- 3.5 ATV Snow Plow vs Snow Blower
- 3.6 How to Plow Snow with Your ATV
- 3.7 Cleaning and Maintenance
- 4 Final Thoughts on the Best Snow Plow for an ATV
Three Types Of Snow Plows
Snow plows come in three different types:
- Straight blade – This type has one “whole” compact design. Meaning, it has no movable parts. It suits large open spaces with no obstructions. It has been observed that it produces better scrape results.
- V-blade – This type is more flexible. The blade can be changed into smaller shapes – v-shape and inverted v – allowing the vehicle to which it is attached to move conveniently into narrow paths. It can also take the form of a straight blade.
- Containment plows – This is another non-adjustable type. It is shaped like a box but functions primarily as a straight blade. This type produces no windrows unlike a straight blade, and it is the best type to use if you want to cut clearing time by minimizing snow spills.
Things to Consider
- The area to plow and plowing job – Plows with shorter widths are perfect for cleaning long driveways. You will have easy maneuvers if you use a smaller plow for this purpose. For cleaning roads, parks and parking lots, use plows with more significant dimensions.
- Vehicle – Is the plow attachable to your ATV? Also, consider the lifting mechanism that you want to use in moving the plow. Your options for these are hydraulic, electric and manual lift systems. If you are buying online, go to the seller’s information and indicate the make and model of your vehicle in the form they provide. You will see if the plow unit fits your vehicle.
- Ease of installation – Is it quick to install? There are at least three steps in installing snow plows– mounting the plate, installing the plow tube and inserting the plow blade. You want a unit that can be easily installed, especially at times when you need to clear your pathways immediately
- Materials – Dents, corrosion, and early breakage are some of the things you will have to deal with. Know the average lifespan of the unit you are considering. Cheap units use feeble materials.
Top 4 ATV Snow Plows Reviews Of 2018
Moving forward, we are ready to evaluate four of the best ATV snow plow models on the market today. Note details on adjust-ability (angular positioning), materials used, mounting methods, ease of installation, finishing, release mechanism, vehicle fit, etc. Now let’s jump in and find the best ATV snow plow for you!
1. Extreme Max 5500.5010 UniPlow OneBox ATV Plow
Getting the best snow plow for ATV also means that you get the best kind of customer support, and Extreme proves outstanding in that regard. For product issues, they get in touch with customers with concerns to sort things out.
For this UniPlow model, Extreme also showed a strong emphasis on quality and ingenuity.
Features and specs:
- The model is a 50-inch-wide straight blade. It can be used in different angular positions.
- Material – It is made of steel. For the 3/16 inch gusseting, it uses grade 50 steel. The same material is used for the 2-sided wear bar. The wear bar uses bolts made of grade 8 steel.
- It comes with heavy-duty skid pads. These parts are adjustable.
- Mounting method – It mounts on the rear side of the wheels. This allows transfer of plowing force from the plow to the vehicle’s frame.
- Frame Fit – Round and square frames suit this plow. Polaris Sportsman frames also match with it.
- There’s a one-year warranty for this product.
This is a plow you can mount on multiple vehicles. Even if the frame of your vehicle is small, this plow will bolt right up to it. This is because of the wide room for the bolts to move. The plow is easy to install and easy to release. The company’s engineers came up with quick-release pins for the model to make users have easy time disengaging the plow from the vehicle.
2. Swisher 2645R 50” Universal ATV Plow Blade
This Swisher unit is made to be durable. The materials used are high-grade, making the plow enduring and ready to use for heavy-duty tasks. If you are thinking about using a plow for moving large piles of sand and gravel, this unit is one of your best options.
Features and Specs:
- This is also a 50-inch blade, with Swisher using steel for it. The steel material is 1/8 inches thick.
- It uses a double lock system for plow angling.
- The lift height for this plow is from 18 to 24 inches.
- The Swisher plow requires the use of a universal mounting kit.
- It is easy to install and remove – without using tools.
- The mounting hardware is included in the kit.
- It uses an existing winch to lift and lower the blade.
Some buyers are confused. Even though the advertising images include the vehicle on the images, only the plow is being offered by the company. Also, you will have to buy [G10] a mount for your ATV. If you have a Swisher mount for 4-wheeler truck, that is the same amount that you need to use for this blade.
Keep in mind that the unit isn’t going to work as one on a tractor as others have mistakenly understood. It can push snow, dirt, and sand alright, but don’t think of it as something you can use for pushing materials to make a path for your BMX or things like that. The blade has its limitations. If set at the right height, it can clear things for you like magic. Just don’t push it too far beyond what it is designed to be used for.
3. WARN 78950 ProVantage 50″ Straight Plow Blade
This is another 50-inch blade. It is a three-part system with each part sold separately. Aside from the blade, you will have to purchase a mounting plate and a push bar.
This model fits the 1979 MTD tractor, 2009 Arctic Cat 700 and the 2013 Polaris 400 HO. It uses a center-mount system that adds stability and rigidity to the vehicle.
Features and Specs:
- Material – It uses steel with 12-gauge thickness. Take note of the difference of this material from those used in the units above. In the United States, a 12-gauge steel material has a thickness of 0.1094 inches (equivalent to 2.78 mm).
- It has a heavy-duty ribbing.
- It has a box design meant to provide extra support not only for the blade but also for the vehicle that will carry it.
- It features a function that allows it to trip forward when it hits an immovable structure. This gives protection to the entire plow assembly in cases like this.
- The low-friction finishing material used helps to keep the plow free from dirt and snow.
Notice the features that this model has. Many of them work to provide stability to the entire system. There’s the forward trip system for example. There is also the base plate, which is a rotating part. This part enables the blade to resist external forces.
4. WARN 79403 ProVantage ATV Front Plow Mount Kit
To add up to what was mentioned in the first WARN unit above, it is just fair to tell readers that the WARN company is also a model regarding customer support. They are responsive and helpful, both via email and telephone.
Moving forward, this is another model from the company that fits many ATV makes and models. Please go to the company’s website where they show the best ATV for snow removal models compatible with this plow.
Features and Specs:
- The mount location is at the vehicle’s front. As such, you will not have to crawl under your ATV
- You can leave the mount on the vehicle during non-plow seasons.
- This tool for plowing snow uses a self-locating pin design meant to make installation and removal a breeze.
- There is no need for you to reduce the ground clearance of your vehicle to accommodate the blade.
- The model is incompatible with the WARN Chassis armor body kit.
What is highly likable in this model is the ease of “attach” and “remove.” When it is time for reattaching the plow for another use, you will find that it will just easily clamp into the mounting bracket. The system easily beats that of mid-mounts where you need to go under the vehicle to connect the push tube.
There is also the advantage of the no-need-to-reduce-ground-clearance. This is perfect for people who can’t wait long to move to the plowing ground when snow begins to pile up.
ATV Snow Plow vs Snow Blower
There are a few questions you need to answer first before deciding which of these two is better for your snow removal needs. For this purpose, we take up three questions:
How long is the driveway?
Snow blowers are recommended for shorter and flatter driveways. The rule of the thumb is when it goes beyond 100 yards, consider using a snow plow. There are areas where a snow plow cannot be of good help. For example, it is not good for snow plowing on walkways and narrow pathways.
Is snow icy or fluffy?
You have to check the kind of snow that is dumped in your area. If it is the fluffy, loose kind of snow, then a snow blower can easily handle the cleaning. If it is the heavy or icy stuff, nothing is more preferable than using a snow plow.
Is the surface to clean gravel or paved?
If it is paved, a snow plow is the better tool to use. If you will insist and also use it on a gravel surface, you will see how bad the result can be when the next spring comes. You will find your gravel washed to the adjacent lawn. A snow blower works perfectly on both types of surfaces, provided that the conditions mentioned above for its use are satisfied.
How to Plow Snow with Your ATV
Snow plowing with your ATV comes in only 3 easy steps:
- Attach the plow to your ATV. Lower the blade according to your system requirement. Drive forward pushing or scooping snow and then backward after piling the snow to the designated area.
- Start plowing at the edge farthest from the designated dump point. This is for you to save time and fuel. You may repeat plowing on areas where there are snow spills.
- It may help to clean faster if you temporarily dump snow to the sides of the driveway first. Afterward, you push the piled snow straight to the intended dump point.
Cleaning and Maintenance
- The goal for cleaning and maintenance of your snow plow is to keep it from corrosion:
- Wash your plow always and every after use. If it is impossible to do this frequently, you should at least wash it every time it is used on a heavily-salted surface.
- When you see rust spots, it is time for a repainting. Sand off the rust. Afterward, paint.
- For blades with removable parts, keep connections well-oiled.
- Check the electrical connections.
- Store your plow in a cool and dry place. Allow air to dry it continuously, so don’t allow condensation to take place by covering it too tightly.
Final Thoughts on the Best Snow Plow for an ATV
Choosing the best ATV snow plow requires that you understand your needs well. There are several factors to consider, but your priority should be about meeting your needs. Otherwise, you will defeat the purpose for which you are buying a unit. List down your requirements and have that list as your guide.
Last update on 2021-03-07 at 03:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API