The Best Wheelbarrow to Buy for Your Garden in 2020
Choosing the best wheelbarrow for your needs makes all the difference when it comes to completing do-it-yourself projects.
Three years ago I moved to my new place. I decided to build a raised garden using concrete planters. Immediately, I headed over to the local home and garden store to check out my options. Next, I ordered 25 planters and 42 bags of potting soil.
Unfortunately, when I received everything the following day, they left everything at the front entrance. That meant I made 67 trips from the lobby to my apartment.
And of course, my apartment is across the building from the lobby. So, about three hours later I completed the task of moving everything to my patio.
Consequently, my back tormented me for the next week.
Believe me when I tell you, next time I get supplies delivered, I will buy the best wheelbarrow I can find.
- 1 Types of Wheelbarrows
- 2 Choosing the Best Wheelbarrow
- 3 The Review Process
- 4 The Best Wheelbarrow Choices
- 5 So What Should You Pick?
Types of Wheelbarrows
In the past, buying the best wheelbarrow was a simple task. However, nowadays there are three main types you can select.
Traditional wheelbarrows are a small hand-propelled cart. They come equipped with a single wheel in the front, a bucket, two supporting legs, and two handles in the rear.
This classic model is usually the best wheelbarrow option if the cost is a consideration.
Hybrid wheelbarrows come with two, three, or even four wheels now. Additionally, they have a variety of bucket sizes and shapes.
Some have rounded sides like classic wheelbarrows. Others have straight sides and a flat bottom.
This type could be the best wheelbarrow for you if you have difficulty lifting and balancing a classic wheelbarrow.
Garden carts typically have two to four wheels and are pulled instead of pushed.
These models usually come with straight sides and flat bottoms. Plus, they have a lower bed. That makes it easier to load and unload materials.
This type is the best wheelbarrow type if lifting heavy objects is difficult for you.
Choosing the Best Wheelbarrow
There are four main design points to consider when selecting the best wheelbarrow for your garden.
The wheelbarrows we reviewed include either two wheels or four. We did not include single wheel models in our best wheelbarrow review for two reasons. First, single wheel models receive low customer ratings. Second, they are difficult to lift and maneuver.
We reviewed three different styles of handles for our best wheelbarrow review. Some models come equipped with classic dual handles. Others come with a single loop handle. Lastly, two of our choices come with an integrated, or built-in, handle.
On the whole, deciding which handle works best for you is a personal choice. All three options offer easy hauling and lifting.
Wheelbarrow options typically include metal frames and ones constructed of polyethylene resins. Six of the models in our best wheelbarrow review have metal frames. Also, two models are one-piece units made with polyethylene.
At one time, wheelbarrows came with steel buckets. Nowadays, the best wheelbarrow choices come with polyethylene buckets. Poly buckets work best due to their light weight. Also, they don’t rust.
We were unable to find any wheelbarrows with good customer reviews that came with steel buckets. However, we did include one model constructed with marine grade aluminum in our best wheelbarrow list.
The Review Process
We created our list of the eight best wheelbarrow choices this year by researching the top-selling models available.
Additionally, as part of this process, we considered the features of each wheelbarrow, the price, and consumer reviews.
Finally, we have no financial ties to any of the companies on our list. Most importantly, our goal is to help you make an informed decision when selecting the best wheelbarrow.
The Best Wheelbarrow Choices
Finding the best wheelbarrow can be tricky with so many features to consider. Accordingly, we created this wheelbarrow review to make it easier for you to decide which wheelbarrow is best for your gardening needs.
Garden Star Garden Barrow
- The garden barrow features two, air filled tires and loop handle making it easy to lift, balance and maneuver.
- Easy to assemble - Only 6 bolts!
- Features a durable poly tray built to easily carry a few bags of mulch, dirt, gravel or sand.
- Perfect cart for hauling, weeding, and other Small yard and garden projects.
- Perfect outdoor gift for a gardener or backyard enthusiast!
The Garden Star Garden Barrow is a lightweight wheelbarrow. It features two air-filled tires and a loop handle. Thus, this wheelbarrow is easy to lift, balance and maneuver.
This wheelbarrow’s bucket has a load size of four cubic feet.
This wheelbarrow’s durable poly bucket is built to carry several bags of mulch or potting soil. With its lightweight construction and ease of use, this wheelbarrow is perfect for smaller garden projects.
This wheelbarrow comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Simplay3 Easy Haul Wheelbarrow
- Durable, heavy duty plastic wheelbarrow pivots and rolls easily on two 13.5" roto tough treaded wheels.
- Smart easy to tilt design is complete with two easy grip handles for stable loading and unloading.
- Extra deep with 4 cubic feet of heaped capacity for heavy loads with a flat floor to keep contents level.
- Bonus storage tray for garden tools, drinks, and more!
- Heavy duty, double wall resin construction withstands the elements & won't rust, dent, or break – Made in the USA.
The Simplay3 Easy Haul Wheelbarrow is another lightweight wheelbarrow. It features two rotationally molded wheels and two easy-grip handles.
This wheelbarrow’s bucket has a load size of four cubic feet.
The Easy Haul Wheelbarrow’s wheel and handle placement provide even weight distribution. This feature gives you optimal balance and excellent ease of use, even over rough terrain.
Additionally, this wheelbarrow comes with a convenient storage tray for gardening tools, drinks, and more. It also has a flat floor to keep planters and other items from tipping.
Last, but not least, this wheelbarrow’s durable double-wall construction means it will stand up to the elements for years of use.
Rubbermaid Commercial Roughneck Lawn Cart
- Two fixed wheels provide optimal control and maneuverability.
- Integrated handle includes a molded-in tool and beverage holder.
- Dump trailer holds up to 3.25 cubic feet (level capacity) or 4.5 cubic feet (heaped capacity) of contents.
- Carries up to 200 pounds.
The Rubbermaid Commercial Roughneck Law Cart is a lightweight wheelbarrow. It features two wheels that provide optimal control, balance, and maneuverability.
Additionally, this wheelbarrow’s integrated handle includes a molded-in tool and beverage holder.
This wheelbarrow’s bucket has a load size of 4.5 cubic feet and a load capacity of 200 pounds.
This wheelbarrow comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Polar Trailer Cub Cart
- Load capacity: 400 lbs, Load size: 7 cubic feet
- Weight: 35 lbs, High-impact polyethylene tub
- Overall Dimensions: 50" X 28" X 29", Body Dimensions: 37" x 27" x 16"
- Tire size: 15" x 4" x 8", Wide rugged wide-track rubber tires, Shielded ball bearings
The Polar Trailer Cub Cart is a heavy-duty wheelbarrow. This wheelbarrow features two wide rubber tires and shielded ball bearings. For that reason, this wheelbarrow provides optimum balance for easy load hauling, even on rough terrain.
This wheelbarrow comes with a high impact polyethylene bucket. Additionally, it has a load size of 7.0 cubic feet and a load capacity of 400 pounds.
This wheelbarrow has a 3-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- [200 pounds= 17] The Turbo Lift design provides leverage to transport tremendous loads, making 200 poundsfeel like approximately 17 pounds
- [8 DIFFERENT CARTS IN 1] It quickly transforms from a lightweight wheepoundsarrow into a yard cart, bag holder, dolly, extended dolly, cylinder carrier, rock/plant mover & trailer tote
- [FLAT-FREE TIRES] Always get a smooth ride with these rugged tires that will never need inflating
- [CLEVER DESIGN] The innovative two-wheel placement makes all eight functions possible by shifting the fulcrum, and thus the center of gravity, to the optimum place for each job
- [DO IT YOURSELF. DO IT BETTER. DO IT WITH WORX.] WORX tools are engineered with cutting-edge technology, and above modern efficiency standards, so you can build a cost-effective tool collection that’s been designed to last
The WORX Aerocart is an 8-in-1 multipurpose wheelbarrow. This wheelbarrow features oversized flat-free tires, fold-out extension arms, and durable all-steel construction.
Additionally, various accessories and attachments allow the WORX Aerocart to perform the tasks of eight different carts. That means you can use this model as a wheelbarrow, bag holder, cylinder holder, extended dolly, hand truck, potted plant holder, rock lifter, and trailer mover.
This wheelbarrow has a load size of 3.0 cubic feet and a load capacity of 300 pounds.
Equally important, the extension arms can handle loads up to 80 pounds. The extension arms can be used with included accessories to carry flower pots, mulch bags, straw bales, and other large, awkward items.
This wheelbarrow has a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Gorilla Carts Poly Garden Dump Cart
- Your purchase includes One Gorilla Cart GOR6PS Dump Cart
- Cart dimensions: 44” L x 25.7” W x 26.2” H | Bed – 40” L x 25.6” W | Weight: 54 lbs. | Max Load rating – 1,200 lbs. | Cu. FT Capacity – 6 | Pneumatic tires – 13” | Handle – 32” L
- Patented quick-release dump feature makes unloading quick and easy
- New frame design reduces assembly time while offering improved maneuverability and ground clearance
- Padded 2-in-1 heavy-duty handle can be pulled by hand or towed, making it easy to pull up to 1200-pounds
The Gorilla Carts Poly Garden Dump Cart is a heavy-duty yard cart. It features four pneumatic wheels. Additionally, it comes with a 40-inch by 25-inch rust-resistant poly bed, steel frame, and black finish.
This garden cart also features a patented quick-release dumping system to make loading and unloading easy.
Lastly, the convertible 2-in-1 handle makes it simple to switch between pulling this cart by hand or towing it behind a lawn tractor.
This wheelbarrow’s bucket has a load capacity of 1200 pounds.
This wheelbarrow has a 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
Tipke Fold-It Cart
- Fold-up utility cart for use in marine environments
- Carries up to 350 pounds of gear to take on and off boats
- Marine-grade aluminum prevents rust and corrosion
- Occupies under 2 square feet of storage space
- 55-by-30-3/4-by-23-inches; limited two-year warranty
The Tipke Fold-It Cart is a collapsible marine utility cart. It features two pneumatic tires, spring-action retractable handles, and marine-grade aluminum construction.
Sturdy 20-inch pneumatic tires provide balance and flexibility over rough terrain. Additionally, a removable front panel allows for quick and easy, controlled dumping of materials.
Best of all, once folded-up, this utility cart occupies under two square feet of storage space.
This utility cart has a load size of 5.75 cubic feet and a load capacity of 330 pounds.
This utility cart comes with a two-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Decko Power Assist Wheelbarrow
- Unique curved brace shape and adjustable tray brace assist in the dumping motion
- Load capacity: 200 pounds
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 65 x 29 x 26 inches
- Variable speeds to take on steep inclines powered by a high quality DC motor
- Manufacturer warranty: 1-year warranty
The Decko Power Assist Wheelbarrow is an electric wheelbarrow. It features two pneumatic tires, a durable poly tub, rugged steel frame, and a front dump brace.
This electric wheelbarrow boasts a 24-volt battery operated drive system. Additionally, it features an independent two-wheel drive for easy turning and maneuverability. Push button forward and reverse control makes using its power assist function easy.
Best of all, this wheelbarrow’s variable forward speed gear with power bursts means you can quickly move loads up inclines up to 15 degrees.
This electric wheelbarrow has a load size of 6.0 cubic feet and a load capacity of 200 pounds.
This wheelbarrow has a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
So What Should You Pick?
Any of these wheelbarrows would be a welcome addition to your home and garden.
When it comes to features, the WORX Aerocart is hard to beat with its 8-in-1 functionality and all-steel construction.
The Gorilla Carts Poly Garden Dump Cart cannot be beaten as the best wheelbarrow choice when it comes to ease of use.
If money is no object, the Decko Power Assist Wheelbarrow might very well be the best wheelbarrow option for you. This wheelbarrow’s 24-volt drive system offers serious maneuverability and ease of use in all terrains.
It all comes down to what features are best suited for your gardening needs and how much money you want to spend.
Let us know your thoughts about the best wheelbarrow for you in the comments, below.