A New Haircut For Your Lawns – The Guide to Proper Mowing
When іt соmеѕ to gardening, a wеll-kерt lawn can mаkе оr brеаk іt. Although іt tаkеѕ much effort to kеер a lаwn lооkіng grеаt, in mу оріnіоn, іt іѕ definitely worth іt. It nоt only improves thе whоlе look оf the garden but аlѕо thе hоuѕе that іt еnvеlореѕ. Thеrе аrе many things a lаwn requires tо lооk lush аnd hеаlthу, but a gооd hаіrсut nеvеr gоеѕ astray.
Whеn I see thе рісturе оf a lаwn wіth оddlу dеnѕе аnd tall grаѕѕ, I juѕt wаnt to get mу mоwеr out! Dіd уоu know thаt hаvіng a grеаt mоwеr аnd сuttіng thе rіght way mаkеѕ a bіg dіffеrеnсе whеn it comes tо the hеаlth оf уоur lawn? Cuttіng еасh blаdе of grass finer еnсоurаgеѕ a hеаlthіеr lаwn.
There are tremendous benefits for lawn cutting; we all know. But, did you know that one of the prominent causes of damaged lawns is improper mowing or cutting?
The healthiest lawns are the ones with proper cutting. In case the lawn is not mowed properly, the results could be:
- Discoloration of lawn tips
- Deep brown patches on the lawn
- Damage to the grass
Your lawn requires special care and love.
And so, we recommend you to follow the following lawn care tips to give your lawn the healthy hair cut it deserves:
1) Do not scalp your lawn. Wonder what scalping is? It is when you allow your grass to grow to the fullest and remove more than 1/2 the leaf blade. This can damage the lawn. On the other hand, mowing your lawn too low can also damage it by cutting the crown of your grass.
Actually, every grass has a distinct mowing height. Do your research well. The mowing must leave the grass tall enough to recover & short enough to be stemmy and have a fresh look.
The trimming length depends on the seasonal grasses. The greens in cool seasons must be trimmed at the height of 3.5 inches. The warm season grass, on the contrary, can be cut at about 2 inches.
2) Did you know mowing in a single direction can produce ruts in the soil? Your lawn must go through different directions of mowing. This is because the grass grows in the direction it is mowed in. Thus, when you shake up your mowing cycle, you actually help your lawn grass to grow straight and upright.
3) Cutting the grass when it’s wet? Stop! This can harm the tender grass by blocking the light. Also, it might lead to an uneven cutting of your lawns. Cutting the lawn when it is wet smothers the grass. This leads to dark brown spots on your greens.
4) The blades of your mower must be sharp. This way you ensure the green color of your grass and some good well-being. If your mower blades aren’t sharp, the grass can be discolored as the frayed grass blades lose moisture very easily.
Sharp blades are also important to cut the grass cleanly. The blades would otherwise rip and tear the grass. It is also important to sharpen the blades as sometimes, some grasses are so edgy that they might make your mower blades wear out quickly.
5) Mow the sharp corners of the lawn at the end. Just round off the corners at the start. Do not mow them at the beginning. Then, when you’re done mowing the whole of the lawn, you can mow the corners which will be mowed just once.
Otherwise, you will have to deal with the sharp corners at every pass around the lawn area.
6) In case your lawn was damaged recently, then beware as this lawn needs extra care and attention. This includes a lawn that might be hit by a grass disease or the insects, or is recovering from a drought. For this, you must heighten your mower by one or two notches. This will ensure gentle mowing.
7) If you have sprayed your lawn, you should wait for at least 24 hours to mow. If you need to do it before that, ensure that you water your lawn after allowing some hours. Give some time to dry and then mow the lawn.
The best is when you allow a few days for the application to show the benefits. Mowing the lawn later will minimize the exposure.
8) The grass grows from bottom to upwards so you ensure that the oldest section of grass is cut. If the lawn is cut higher, the roots go deeper. The deeper the root system, the better it is. This process fosters a backup water & nutrient reservoir for the grass which is beneficial for dry days.
To conclude, a nicely cut lawn is the one to cherish. It accentuates the beauty of your house. Proper mowing saves the lawn from pests and protects it against the accumulation of debris. Regular lawn mowing is the best way to give back to your garden. The summer is already here. Use this professional lawn care advice to have a good time in your lawn. Relax in a clean and green lawn while sitting on a comfortable reclining chair with footrest.
As apparent, mowing can either make your lawn or destroy it. Are you up for mowing right?
Sahiba Sadana is the founder of The Absolute Reviews. She is a professional content writer. Post graduated in English, she is passionate about book reading.